Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Embracing a simpler Christmas



Image credit Pinterest


So how is your Christmas prep going?  It seems to start so early every year and and honestly I can find it quite overwhelming and also emotional without my beloved mum and with losing my Aunt this year there are times where I feel I could just hide away from all the hectic festivities, but with two little kiddos who absolutely love this time of year, I need to make sure they have  a wonderful time and create some special memories as this time of year is magical for kids. However it doesn't need to be so hectic, the endless lists, pressures to write cards, attend the school Christmas fayre, host a party, make sure the kids attend lots of Christmas activities, it goes on and on but I have stepped out of the fast lane this year and set a goal to have a more simplified Christmas.

Starting with the festive decorations, I had a big clear out and sold some on ebay, I had fallen out of love with a lot of them and they got sold for someone else to enjoy,  as you guessed it my tree is pretty minimalist, I really wanted a real tree as I just love the smell, I have added a few decorations I purchased while the kids and I were in Adelaide last Christmas visiting family, its lovely to add these as they hold special memories. There's a few more decorations doted about but its pretty low key.

I have done a pre-christmas declutter with the kids, a lot got donated and some stuff was sold online, which was great as it went into this years Christmas fund.

I have decided not send cards this year instead we have donated to centrepoint, I know my friends and family will understand, I feel Christmas cards are so wasteful and are yet another thing to recycle and I wanted to put my money towards a more meaningful fund.

We have stuck to a budget for the children's gifts and tried to stick to the four gift rule of something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read. There's a few extras that have snuck in and I do love filling their stockings with a few treats, seeing their excited faces Christmas morning is magical for a parent.

We have a few special days out planned as a family but not feeling the need to do too much with the kids as honestly we need some down time, getting the blankets out, lighting the candles, lots of cuddles and watching Christmas movies is whats needed. A goal for our family is too slow down at Christmas to take the time to just be in the moment.

I don't feel the need to panic about food shopping either, i'm lucky my other half likes to take control of the cooking, honestly I don't get the panic about all the food, it's one day and I hate the waste we are planning a more simplified lunch with just a few trimmings and a few treats in the evening.

Social media can play a big part in the pressures of having a magical, busy Christmas, I myself have been guilty of trying to get the perfect photo to post on the grid when actually I should be just embracing and enjoying the moment and nagging the kids to get off technology when I am on my phone!! I only use Instagram but I am going delete the app over the holiday season to take a little social media break and start being in the moment a bit more.

Simplifying anything is trial and error but honestly the gift of time with loved ones feels much more important to me. What are your plans for the festive season? I hope you get too slow down a bit, embrace some family time, relax, enjoy some lovely food and just remember Christmas does not have to be perfect, its just one day, enjoy it how you and your family want to and make some memories.


Sending Christmas blessings to you all.

Cathy xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Copy to clipboard