Friday, September 17, 2021

A finished bathroom but where did all the money go?

Oh my doing up a house is expensive and my budget has taken a real hammering! The bathroom took priority, the sitting room now has shutters and I have added beautiful column radiators downstairs, I wasn't expecting to have to spend so much on the electrics but a part re-wire was needed plus all the light fittings and sockets where so old and mis-coloured I had allowed half what it ended up costing but at least its a big job out the way.

I have invested in improving every room in the house in some form but nothing seems finished, this is typical of me, I do have a habit of starting projects and not finishing them, bit like this blog really I haven't got into the flow of regular posts but I guess that is life there has been so many distractions this year and being a single parent raising two kiddos does take priority.

So now I have the children back at school after what felt like the longest summer ever,  I really need to shift my mindset into getting some jobs completed. I am happy to say the bathroom is now done though, there are some finishing touches to do, I want to add a shelf above the bath and I need to get some  hooks put up but I am yet to invest or even learn how to use a drill which is in fact a big regret and something I need to rectify. 






I love the bath but I will say my daughter has used it more than me, I am more of a shower person but I need to dedicate some time to relax in the bath. I have been looking at ply shelving for above the bath it really needs something to break up the blank space. 

So here are some before photos, It was a big job everything had to be ripped out all the walls re- plastered, all the electrics done, I designed it myself and my partner did all the plumbing and tiling, the choice of grout took ages to clean off and the floor tiles I went for style over practicality and they are a pain to clean! 






I had a custom ply cupboard made by a local carpenter it looks great but it’s not massively practical for the kids! It needs constantly cleaning and I wish the cupboard was slightly bigger as I haven't got much storage, but as I am an advocate of living with less "stuff" it is plenty big enough but the design fault being it doesn't fit a soap dispenser! 



I sealed it with Ronseal mattcoat Varnish it is wipeable but it does get covered in toothpaste! Kiddos do love to spoil a good design haha! 

Although I have a few design regrets,  I do love this room and I am so pleased I managed to get in a separate shower cubicle, I have never had a new bathroom before so it feels a real luxury and I am really grateful I had so much help from my partner with the labour. 



Tiles - Tiles Direct
Shower fittings & bath - Victoria Plumbing
Mirror - Dunelm

So that's where I am really, a completed bathroom, some gorgeous radiators and shutters and hardly any money left!  But I do love this little house so much, the kids have settled so well and it really feels so homely and so much more spacious than our previous home.  Friends that have visited have said how the house is so 'me' my dad loves it too, it took forever for the purchase to go through but it was worth the wait. 

Thanks for stopping by, I will post another update soon of the sitting room to show you the shutters and the radiators I need to paint the room and repaint the fireplace,  so thats my next project, lets hope I can stay focussed and not switch to another job! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Copy to clipboard