Thursday, March 24, 2022

New front door



So happy to share I have managed to complete another project, the front door! When I  first found my house on Rightmove I almost dismissed it, due to zero kerb appeal (sorry previous owners!!) it lacked original features, the original windows and front door were replaced with UPVC and I felt it really lacked character both inside and out, but the size and location was perfect for my children and I. 

 Of course I live with the UPVC windows and I am grateful for them as they are more eco friendly and save on heating plus the road noise is reduced, but the front door it just had to go! However there were other priorities like the bathroom and getting the fireplace in so we could have an open fire. (Sorry haven't got round to sharing the sitting room progress but I am waiting till I can afford carpet.) So back to the front door,  I started to get quotes and oh my they were coming in expensive, to get one custom made I had quotes up to £2,000. I considered trying to change the look of the UPVC with a frosted panel, 


but it still wouldn't give the house the charm and character I was looking for. So on recommendation of a friend I went to my local recreation yard just on the of chance I might find something, and there it was!


An original Victorian front door, in all its glory. Covered in red lead paint and definitely in need of some TLC and alteration to fit, it was up for £120 but I managed to get them down to £100 with delivery. I must admit when I got it delivered my other had was like, oh my goodness what has she brought! Of course I see the potential but don't always appreciate the work. So it was stored in his garage and I did nothing with it for a few months due to other projects and mum life! My partners dad took pity on me haha and took over stripping it back and primed it for me.  I had a frame built for £300 and my partner and his dad installed it for me.


Then the fun bit of choosing paint and door furniture. I really wanted something different, not grey or black,  something cheerful and in keeping with the brick work, so I decided on Soft Stone by Dulux, unfortunately Dulux don't do the paint in an exterior satin wood so I had it colour matched by Valspar at my local B&Q I have worked with this paint before on my internal doors and its excellent.



 I went for tradition door furniture from Ironmongery Direct and the classic door numbers which I absolutely love are from Swoon.



So there we go its in and I am so pleased with the result it has transformed the look of the house,  also I managed to get this project done on a budget and  old door sat in a warehouse has been given a new lease of life and a new home. I just need to get the external post box put up now. 

Next project is to choose some tiles for my tiny hallway but all in good time. 


Would love to hear what you think!


Cathy x 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Copy to clipboard