Monday, February 25, 2019

Live well with less

It's all over the internet now there's even a Netflix series about decluttering got to love Marie Kondo, the series is great I binged watched and although I have downsized my wardrobe dramatically I want to start going through the folding techniques to get more organised. So last year I started to really take stock of all the stuff I owned and what I actually need. I downsized when I got divorced and really wanted to make the smaller space work for me and my children so last year I made a conscious effort to declutter.



I started with my clothes now what i was really faced with was a tone of clothes and nothing to wear! So the clear out commenced, I have quite a small bedroom and only really space for a small chest of drawers there is a decent size alcove which is perfect for a fitted wardrobe but until I can afford it I have made use of a clothing rail which i picked up off ebay as a temporary measure, due to limited space I rotate my seasonal capsule wardrobe, this has been good for me as I have been forced to re-think my wardrobe and what I actually need and because I have limited storage the items I have now are more sustainable and will last longer. I now feel more educated and have been more mindful with purchases.  I donated bags and bags of clothing to charity shops,  I did Ebay quite a bit, the brands that worked for me on there are Joules, Boden, Next & Jack Wills. My rule of thumb with Ebay is just list for "Buy It Now" I found I got a better price, it takes longer but its worth it. I think Ebay is getting a bit more like Amazon buyers see an item they want it now rather than waiting to bid.


I went through the kids stuff  and have developed more of a capsule wardrobe for them too and to be honest only really buy what I need for them. They grown so quickly and they don't need hoards of clothes. I tend to buy more quality items that can be Ebayed once they have grown out of them, again when selling kids stuff I would recommend buy it now and offer a bundle of items if you can. I find this works for me you don't get that much back for kids clothes but it all helps towards budgeting for more items when they have grown out of them. Also there is a feel good factor of doing your bit for the environment to stop fast fashion. I will often donate items or pass on stuff to friends and family with younger children.

I didn't stop with my clothes.... I went through my jewellery, bags, scarves , there was so much I just didn't wear or need so again off it went to the charity shop. Now I am left with pieces that I really love and enjoy wearing.




I feel so much lighter and more organised with my wardrobe,  its easier to plan my outfits, I have found myself more content and more in tune with my personal style than ever before. 

Plus my laundry is much lighter too which is definitely an added bonus.

Have you got any decluttering or capsule wardrobe tips to share? I would love to hear them.

Thanks for stopping by...

Cathy xox









No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram

Copy to clipboard